9.29.2009

My favorite motivational saying.....

Is "Do or do not, there is no try.'

I like this saying because when I heard it, it resonated with me. Words have power in our lives. They are the expression of ideas...of ideals....of hopes and dreams. Words have meaning. I know in our culture, words have been devalued...deconstructed. The expression of Ideas and Ideals are mocked as hokey, or idealistic pablum. Good, constructive, Words have the power of vision behind them. If you don't believe me, look at Martin Luther King Jr. Did he have the power to pass the civil rights act of 1964???? No. But he was a part of the impetus for that piece of legislation. His words..."I have a dream". It was a vision encapsulated in a phrase. His speech was a turning point in American History.
I believe words can create a mental image which can cause a change in perspective in an individual, to the extent that it can change their lives. It can change your mental framework.

Let's take my favorite motivational saying.
Do or do not: there is no try.
Seems pretty black and white, and it is. There is a reason for this.
Before, when I would attempt to lose weight...that's just what it was...an attempt. I would try.
Somedays when I would try, I would do well...and sometimes when I would try I would 'fail'.
I began to believe that there was some sort of magical thinking or action that would make me thin. I was tryyyyyyyyyyying. Yes, I was trying....I wasn't doing.
Do or Do not, there is no try.
Now I do. If I am on, I am on....it is a choice. If I am not on, I am not on. I do not try to fool myself anymore that I am trying and not succeeding. If I DECIDE to take a day off...I am being real and upfront about it. I know the choice to DO is right there. We all have things that help us along the path to getting better.
I have this phrase in puffy paint on the back of my exercise t-shirts. I have an occasional cheat day, I don't eat just fruits and veggies and lean meats. You see, perfectionism is what killed my wieght loss efforts in the past. I had to do things perfectly. If I wasn't perfect ( i.e. 1200 calories, no carbs, two hours of exercise etc) then the magic was broken.
I like occasional treats, If I eat a piece of chocolate, does that mean I am doomed to failure...heck no. If I over indulge on Thanksgiving am I then unable to DO ever again. NO. Every single day is a choice. There is no GOOD FOOD, or BAD FOOD. There is, as the bible says, things that are edifying and things that aren't. I am learning to make choices in a wide awake fashion. Learning to handle foods that previously led to binge behavior,is for me, a crucial step on the road to health. Learning to eat a cup or two of popcorn instead of 12 or 14 cups...for me, it's necessary. I need to redefine my relationship with my body and food. As I go along I am DOING that....not trying, doing.
What's your favorite motivational saying?
Hugs,
Chris

6 comments:

Hanlie said...

Great post!

Mine is "The more I practice, the luckier I get".

Lorie said...

'Every single day is a choice' - Perfectly said!! :)

Unknown said...

I love this post as it is how I look at things too these days. I don't have a fav. motivational saying that came instantly to mind but I sure like yours. I'm going to be posting in my view as a reminder for the next week or so.

Thanks for sharing.

Roxie said...

Because I have a petty streak in me - "The best revenge is living well".

Amber said...

My favorite is : Life is 20% circumstance and 80% attitude.
Each day is a choice, you can choose to enjoy it and see the good in each day or you can choose not to.

Tom Bailey said...

I like the quotes here!

Mine is "luck is a dividend of sweat the harder I work the luckier I get".