3.20.2011

It's not a dream....

I was on an elliptical about one month ago and I had a weird moment...a kind of deja vu moment.
When I was much bigger I must have daydreamed a thousand times of getting fit and being thin.
I mean, I made a visual dream book of all the clothes I would wear.
I cut out pictures.
I tried visualization.
I would think about how life would be if I wasn't so big.
Things I would try....
How much freer I would be..
and I was on the elliptical and I looked down and realized I really have lost a crapload of weight.
I know that seems strange to say.
I mean, I see myself.
I see the number on the scale...But I have been focusing for so long on going forward...or moving downward that the numbers didn't really register.
Maybe some one else who has lost lots of weight can chime in here.
It didn't seem real.
It's almost like a name tag someone affixes to your chest.
262 lbs
199 lbs
183 lbs
169 lbs
155 lbs
146 lbs.
When you are in the process of losing...none of the labels have any meaning.
Like driving cross country.
It's not where you are from and it isn't your destination...It's just a blip on the map.
So no...
It didn't really sink in.
Until I was on the elliptical and it dawned on me that I really am a size 10.
I have focused so hard on the next number down that I haven't really taken time to realize that I am at a size I would have ripped my right arm off for two years ago.
I did it...
I didn't just dream it.
I did it.
And I did it by doing it day in and day out.
I debated on whether to leave a link to this comedy sketch because the end of it is so offensive...but if you click off with 30 seconds or so remaining...the rest is completely true.
and funny.
Eat less, move more and do it daily.
I did a 5 mile hike today...it was too pretty to go to the gym.
But I will be going tomorrow because I need to do weights.
Have a great night guys.
hugs,
Chris

7 comments:

Carol said...

hey Chris, I've started back on the treadmill and I've been working up to 3 miles per day. I'm having a problem with my ankles. they are not hurting in the joint but kind of burning down the front of my ankle. Do you have any suggestions? I am trying to lose 20 lbs. by May.

thanks...Carol

Retta said...

"And I did it by doing it day in and day out."

It's that consistency that I am still finding so elusive. Reading your story is motivating. It's like seeing the whole journey in a nutshell... proof that consistency isn't just a fad concept, but is foundational, and really pays off.

Hanlie said...

It's not a dream - it's a dream come true through consistent hard work and dedication.

Chubby McGee said...

BRILLIANT POST! Brilliant! I love it.

I look at your pics and think: I can do what she did! I thank you SOOOOO much for sharing this journey you've been on. You're such an inspiration to me. Thank you!

P.S. If you'd like to follow my blog, just hit me up in a quick email and I'll send ya an invite. ChubbyMcGeeBlog@Gmail.com Cheers! :)

bbubblyb said...

Great post Chris! Loved the little skit lol yea it's not rocket science but I use to make it seem that way lol.

Ellie said...

You have come such a long way and are such a great inspiration. It's great that you are able to realize how far you have come!

Carol said...

Hey Chris,

thanks for answering my question. Today I just started out slower for the first five minutes and I didn't have any problem, I guess it's just that I was going to fast and also walking 3 miles at least 5 days a week.