9.15.2012

Three fingers= no fear

Hello all..
I have been silent on my blog lately because my mind has been a mudhole.
I was unsettled water.
I knew what I wanted, but thought I didn't have a way of moving forward.

There is always a way to move forward.
I was talking to a very good friend today about fear.
About how when we carry around fear, it infects everyone around us..
especially our children.

For years I carried a can't do attitude.
I was stymied by my own mind.
Fearful of THE UNKNOWN...drawing up anxieties out of the shadows of my past.
Convinced there was nothing I could do to change my life.
My oldest daughter picked up on my pessimism.
it's one of the hardest things to see...
That even when we are doing our  best, sometimes we miss the mark.
Our frailties as well as our strengths are absorbed by our children.
The good part...over the last three years, as I have gained confidence and let go  of my excuses and shadow fears...my oldest has  begun to embrace more optimism.
It's never too late to turn a corner and change.

I made a huge leap on September 11th.
I signed up for Vee arnis Jitsu.
The class I have been talking about forever.
It was half off for veterans for the first six months.
I decided it was now or never.
so now it is...
And last night, as I was enduring my second night of class (joint manipulation and arm  bars OUCH!)
I watched the most amazing thing.
I watched my sensei take a six foot tall, 300 lbs person by three fingers and make them do whatever he wanted.
Up they went...down they went....Over they went...
I nearly cried at the simplicity.
And the only thing I could think was this:
If my mother had known the magic finger trick...she wouldn't have gotten her ass beat.
If my mother had known how to defend herself, she wouldn't have been so afraid.
And in turn, my brothers and I would not have had to be afraid.
In that moment...everything I have done or ever will do was crystalized for me.
I want to teach this to women, to girls...
The knowledge ITSELF will impute power.
I felt ten times more self sufficient in the two classes I took
..far and above the miniscule amount of knowledge I had gained
IT WAS THE IDEA
The idea that I could, through technique, win a battle.
I was CAPABLE.
I was able.
I just have to learn and apply myself.
I want to learn that, feel that and then impart that.
Fear is a  feeling that you won't be able to control the outcomes.
That whatever may happen, you won't be able to handle it.
I allowed fear to control  nearly all of my decisions for years...
The fear got so pervasive that it controlled what I participated in and who I talked to or what I thought of the future.
and when I see it now in others, it can make me sad/crazy/unhappy...but I do understand.
When fear rules  you..
You project it onto everything around you.
And everything becomes dangerous.
And your world becomes smaller and smaller.
When you strip away your fear through becoming capable..
and able.
And allow that knowledge to seep into your soul...
Your world becomes larger and much more rewarding.
And that is what I want to give.
I want to give women the skills to build their own bridge to freedom.
Chris out.

7 comments:

Robin said...

Right now fear is kicking my ass. It is in my nightmares. Sleeping and waking. I am beginning to feel like the living dead. If I don't get it under control the migraines will literally eat me alive. And I am not kidding. I was a much happier camper when I didn't know what was going on in the world. Now that I do... it is even chasing me in my sleep. All that intuitive crap about events and people is not always such a good thing. However, I think I can understand feeling better knowing the 3 finger trick. It's all about controlling your environment as much as you can. I think I need to start doing that.... more.

Christine said...

@ Robin, I have this fatalistic feeling about coming events. There is nothing we can do to stop them...we can just prepare OURSELVES the best we can and make the determination to live according to our principles and to never quit. We will be okay.

downsizers said...

It's good to read you again and to learn that you have found a reason, a mission - one that will help others avoid the hell that you have lived. We don't have to be victims. Take care.

Roxie said...

Fear. I relate so to this post, Chris. So much of my past was lived in a fear-based mode. It is drop-to-the-knees stunning when we realize how much fear permeates everything, isn't it?

As always, your journey is insightful and inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing it.

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

For so many of us, fear ruled our lives in one way or another for way too long. (Fear really is the main thing I remember from my growing up.) But then, one day, we find a way out of the fear.
Each one of us must find our own way. The rewards of overcoming fear are massive and real. Much more real than anything we ever feared, it turns out.
The process of finding a way to beat back the fear can be its own reward. I am excited to see what all of this means for you in the long run. I'm sure you will learn quickly and share what you know in an amazing way. You are truly a gifted communicator.

paulawannacracker said...

Great post and so glad you're back to posting. Fear... Gosh, I've come face-to-face with it lately and the only thing I know is to "close my eyes and just go." Whatever happens, I know I'll be alright. Sometimes, that's easier said than done. I think it's amazing that you're facing fear and by doing just that, you're becoming THE BEST ROLE MODEL for your girls.

You rock...

kathyj333 said...

I'm working on my fear. Maybe one day I'll figure it out. Thanks for this post.